NAMI Oklahoma

It is the mission of NAMI Oklahoma to improve the quality of life for children, adults and their families who are affected with a mental illness.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

HR 4 Under Consideration by US House

The House will consider HR 4 by the end of this week as part of their 100 hour agenda. HR 4 would significantly change the Medicare Part D benefit by allowing the federal government to directly negotiate drug prices. Our national organization has put together a well-developed letter that outlines specific concerns with HR 4 (see the 1/10 issue of Mid Week Minute to access the letter). The cost of pharmaceuticals is a topic meritorious of debate; however, it is important to note that it is a complex issue and for every decision there are unanticipated consequences. Policy makers should remember that the people who rely upon these life-saving medications cannot become pawns in this game of economic chess. People experiencing chronic health conditions, whether they be related to mental illness or cancer, deserve access to therapies that work. As always, we welcome your thoughts!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am on 5 psychiatric meds. One I need to have the brand name. the generic only keeps me out of withdrawals. Which is saying something but i want the therapeutic effect thank you very much. I am from Nebraska. Our legislature is so proud of just gutting the budget instead of raising taxes. I fully expect them to go after entitlements next term as they look to finance what they want. I will make sure to keep my husband's insurance and fight by lobbying the legislature. This is another Tennessee all over again.I am on the State's advisory committee to the governor so I do have some leverage, but not much. But I have become known in the legislature as a regular speaker on bills. I will speak my peace. What do you all do in OK. to work toward change on things like this?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home